View Single Post
Old 05-21-12, 04:38 AM   #3397
Olamagato
Torpedoman

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0
Quote:
One suggestion: Instead of doing the changes directly in the sh3-Installation, let the Installer create a JSGME-ready mod (containing all the required files) that can easily be (de)installed using JSGME.
More than a year I analyzed the question of how to update the SH3 (GWX in particular) to have a utility value. Well, creating dozens of small elements, each of which often modifies a very small part of the game leads to a mod-salad. Ideally, every improvement should be free of the choice options. I think it has come to similar conclusions GWX team, which cut off their package from the base of a thousand small and inconsistent SH3 mods.
Is this you like it or not, your fix-package is unquestionable improvement of the game. Like patch - which in fact is.

As you know certain files in the game are of particular importance. These are files basic.cfg, xx_menu.txt and menu_1024_768.ini (and some other). Changes in these files are particularly difficult because the impact on the game and for each set of mods. The first controls the game, the second communication with the player, and the third all the graphics.
Allowing frequent changes in these files is the instability of the game. Each super-mod must keep these files in order and avoid unnecessary optional changes in them.
I left a few files as an update GWX not without reason. Applying the same files with a different content from different packages mods imo is a big problem. It avoids creating super-mods, patches and combimods. Well done super-mod should not have options, which the installation sequence will affect for a set of files in the game. But now, when the amount of mods "must have" more than 50, and their total volume has reached >1,5 GB, GWX has lost this property.
In my opinion there are 4 base packages that are de facto GWX updates:
- Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships V6 (campaign upgrade)
- Unofficial Rocket fix (air cover upgrade)
- Hardcode fixes + Colored Hull Integrity (u-boat simulation upgrade)
- Any exhaustive widescreen GUI mod
I created a big package (unreleased yet) that combines them all and is supplemented by a very big number of small fixes of many authors (and me too). I want to emphasize - fixes - no new features (often controversial) in the game (if possible). This small Hardcode fixes package (for dummies) for GWX will be compatible with it. Therefore, several files in this small package is intended to replace the GWX original files.

Too much of note on this on this topic on only GWX, but I wanted to clarify that the swapping of some files GWX had some purpose.

Quote:
One wish: Is it possible to make it controlable via a script? This would help Stiebler to adapt it for his Add-On.
Yes. Making the smart installer with a batch script is certainly possible.
Some difficulty is the fact that jsgme even in the latest version does not allow scripts to read and write the whole mod-set. I'll have to replace the absence by script.
Olamagato is offline   Reply With Quote