View Single Post
Old 05-05-12, 04:31 AM   #94
11Bravo
Medic

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Funk View Post
So far I've seen you do your tests near the equator as far as I can recall, so I'm curious to know how this disparity between SH3's Longitude and the real world's, ie. the set width in SH3 versus the narrowing one as you move towards the poles, affects navigation for us. If I'm near the north pole in SH3 will this pose problems for us using existing almanac data? If so, how do you propose overcoming this, and if not... well why doesn't that change what the almanac says for our purposes?

Is everything just simply solved by converting from the spherical world to the cylindrical one as you did in your 3 point plotting demonstration?
My demonstration was at 50°N and it revealed to me the need to shift the longitude in order to find the correct position. I went on blathering for two posts (talking to myself helps me think) and convinced myself that the shift/stretch needs to be proportional to the inverse of the cosine of the latitude. I tried it and it worked.

Then I studied cylindrical map projections and found one that had the exact same term in the transformation equations...an inverse cosine or secant which is the same thing.

Come back in a few hours and I will show you a series of 3 star shots at different latitudes that graphically demonstrates this stretching of longitude that is required when taking a spherical result and plotting it on a cylinder.
"Sounds of terror are in his ears; While at peace the destroyer comes upon him." -- Job 15:21

Last edited by 11Bravo; 05-05-12 at 04:41 AM.
11Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote