Old 04-24-12, 11:11 AM   #3321
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamagato View Post
@rudewarrior
Your idea to instead exclude the possibility of a defective torpedo hits (-25m) to reduce the chance of hitting (-2..-4 m) is imo wrong. .
Quote:
It was also found that the essential problem with the impact-pistol torpedo Mark G7e was that its depth-keeping gear ran off base, causing the torpedo to run 6 feet deeper than set depth and simply pass beneath its target. Thus, writes Dönitz, "we found ourselves equipped with a torpedo that refused to function in northern waters either with contact or with magnetic pistols."
Source.

I'm not saying that his model is wrong, but what I am saying is that his model for correctly simulating the torpedo crisis is incomplete. The torpedo directorate was finding that the torpedoes were running too deep by ~2-4 meters. The orders given to u-boats reflected this, by telling the Kaleuns to set certain depths on their torpedoes to adjust for this depth issue. I am not suggesting he replace his model, but his model is designed to simulate ALL torpedo malfunctions during the Torpedo Crisis, be it surface runner, running too deep, or be just a plain old dud. The reason I would like to see the ~2-4 meter implementation is that if the torpedo is traveling at a depth increase of 2-4 meters on a deep draft target, it still might still detonate. Unfortunately, for us (and the Kriegsmarine) the only data that is/was out there showed how many malfunctions there were (and even these data points were based on subjective interpretation by Kaleuns) as opposed to what type of malfunction actually occurred. So in reality, a torpedo could be set to 4 meters on a 9 meter draft target, still be malfunctioning such that it travels at 6 meters and still actually detonate. There is no way to say that this happened for sure, but based on the data we have, this is not an unreasonable assumption.

One other fine point, is if you read carefully, I am not suggesting that he replace his model, just set it up so that some of the torpedoes that are "duds" actually only increase depth by ~2-4 m. The remaining portion of the "duds" can actually go ahead and go to max depth to cover the situation of a surface runner and/or a defective pistol.

I am also not suggesting that he actually do this, I am just wondering if the coding even allows it to happen.

Last edited by rudewarrior; 04-24-12 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Clarification in final paragraph.
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote