Thread: Still standing?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-06, 09:42 AM   #21
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Well I don't suppose that the technology or knowhow to change the number of guns in the turret or the turret placement or all those esoteric arts has suddenly become available... has it?
It's available but not particularly accessible.

Serg has created a considerable number of modified ship model by hex editing. Comparing the hex information of modified with unmodified files would tell anyone what has been done to affect the changes. Nobody pretends that it's easy, but a determined investment in time for someone with the patience and aptitude for this sort of thing would unlock its secrets. A "Users Manual" by Serg is not necessarily the answer either. Apart from the time investment needed to create such a manual it would still require a fair degree of application for someone to make practical sense of it. My own experience of creating "users documents" to help folk is that they are greeted with warm thanks and appreciation but then ( for all sorts of reasons) never really used.

If you really wanted to get to grips with these skills my suggestion would be to gather together a small group of people interested in this sort of thing to form a kind of cooperative think tank to analyse Serg's files. You may then be able to address some specific questions to Serg on points that were causing particular problems.
horsa is offline   Reply With Quote