View Single Post
Old 12-15-11, 02:24 PM   #187
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I have the absolute complete Beethoven, as well as the absolute complete Bach. While that includes all of the rarest stuff, it does only contain one recording of each, so FK probably has more different recordings of individual symphonies than I do.
Oh dear lord I've got at least two versions of each. And about 10 of the Ninth. Favorites like the violin concerto and last piano concerto, I dunno, 4 or 5 versions. Sometimes I find a used CD that can't be passed up because of the performer(s) involved. I have "complete" sets of things only because I got them used and therefore cheap and they are historically important but the recordings are way old so the quality is not great even though the performances are wonderful, so eventually I go looking for a more modern set with a different performer that I know I like.

And then there's the fact that some of the really rare stuff, you can't just *buy* without getting it as part of a bigger collection that includes stuff you've already got. I'm looking at a CD set of the string quartets & quintets right now even though I've got much of it on hand already because it includes alternate versions, unfinished pieces, all the rare stuff that almost never gets recorded.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote