View Single Post
Old 11-11-11, 11:59 PM   #251
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Played a bit today, but primarily focused on finishing my big 'final' playthrough of the now-complete New Vegas. Some initial observations:
  • The game, as many have said, looks fantastic. However, what I really dig is the new 'gritty' look. Gone is the ultra-sanitized look of previous elder scrolls games. People look like they live in houses that don't have running water. Lower-class homes look like lower-class dwellings.
  • Game optimization is fantastic. My machine is hardly state-of-the-art, but running at high, I get excellent frame rates. Had a CTD earlier, but that was after some extended running through the landscape, resulting in multiple grid loads. I get the same kind of errors in Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, so it really isn't a big deal to me. I like to move slow through these games anyway and almost never fast travel. You see a lot more if you take the time to walk through the landscape.
  • Details are everything. Bethesda loves it's flagship series and it shows. Having come into the inn at night, I rented a room, after which the innkeep came out from behind the counter and showed me upstairs to the room. No more friendly, yet vague directions about which room is your's. NPCs act a whole lot more like real people now, which is a real immersion booster.
  • Bethesda took my favorite things about their incarnations of the Fallout series and put them in the game. We've got perks, crafting and even a status message telling my that I was well-rested after waking up in the inn.
  • Melee combat seems clunky and slow. Maybe I am not used to the feel of the game yet, but I have found swinging my sword to be clumsy at best. Have been relying on my archery more, but this game could really stand to have a type of VATS interface.
I haven't even tried magic yet, and I am pretty tired right now, but I will probably start a fresh game tomorrow and give it a whirl then. Skyrim is clearly the 2011 game of the year, and looks like it will be an obsession of mine for some time.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote