View Single Post
Old 11-04-11, 03:10 PM   #2557
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

@Hitman:

a) I agree. I also think wave height dependency should be added. Easy to do.

b) The torpedo failure effect that I program is different from the already existing mechanism (premature explosion), thus, it is *added* to the existing mechanism, is does not replace it. Magnetic and impact will have the same failure rate, thus, the player will have the desire to use magnetic. So we also agree in this point, I think. Right?

Not so if you program the depth variation at random and exclude the pistol from triggering if the torpedo is less than 1 metres deep. That would simulate "porpoising torpedoes" quite well. Since tha player knows anything can happen, he will set the correct depth and pray the torpedo doesn't malfunction.

I see no advantage in that idea, except from more assembler lines necessary to code it . In my (and LGN1's) solution, the player also sets the correct depth, prays that the torpedo works well, and the result is (with a certain chance p) a wrong depth, resulting in no ship damaged. You only see a difference between your and our solution, if you use the event camera and follow the torpedo. Is it really important which depth the torpedo has? Not in my opinion. The most important thing is that no ship has been sunk.

Guys, please remember that my options are restricted. I cannot program all I / we want (even if that may look different after the wolfpacks). Thus, I can offer compromises (which are hoprfully better than the current situation), but I cannot offer perfect solutions - not without SDK.

Last edited by h.sie; 11-04-11 at 03:25 PM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote