View Single Post
Old 10-20-11, 10:54 AM   #3617
Hans Uberman
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VONHARRIS View Post
Shelling the Statue of Liberty doesn't seem a good idea.
How do you intend to put your boat inside that harbor?
I always sneak up to where the nets are, and wait till midnight. (Local time.) Then I slowly creep forward, using the scope to hopefully see the net in time. (I have to be extremely close to the net to see it this way.) Then, I give the word to go to 10m or so, hit flank speed, and when I feel we're over the net, I order the boat to periscope depth, while slowing the boat again. The shore guns usually don't spot me, if I do it this way, and it's dark enough.

If I use TI torpedoes set to slow or medium speed, I can get enough range to hit the big ships that are often (but not always) parked near the statue, get out, and race towards deep water before the sun is up.

At various times, I've had battleships, two (24-25k ton) large troopships, and all sorts of juicy targets sit in front of that statue. The large 15k tons passenger ship that often exits the harbor, tend to be farther in, on the other side of the "city" area, all by itself. Early in the war vs the United States, it can often be easy to move around their harbor undetected, with only toothless tugboats as patrol ships.

As for actually shelling the statue? It's probably a possibility at night, but you'd have to be quick. I'd be afraid to surface, given the number of deck cannons on the merchants there... Of course, it's easy to "cheat" and shell the statue just before the U.S. joins the war.