View Single Post
Old 10-02-11, 08:26 AM   #2293
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

@all: Thanks for the feedback! It seems the mod works as intended, no CTDs,... maybe some parameter tweaking later, but basically it works. Time for a beta, h.sie?

@Stiebler: With the realistic setting it can take quite some time until the pack attacks. One reason for the long time is that the pack only attacks at night. Thus, you can be sure that you have to shadow at least until sunset (if you start shadowing at night you might have to shadow until the next night).

I don't know the actual setting that h.sie uses in the alpha2, however, for non-testing purpose we plan not to have a high probability for a wolfpack. Expect something like seeing a wolfpack approx. on every second convoy IF CONDITIONS ARE PERFECT. Please keep in mind that this depends on the area you are and the month/year (end of '42 has the highest probability). Seeing a wolfpack in action should be a rare highlight in one's career.

As h.sie has already written, the mod is more about the shadowing than about the action of the AI-subs. It's intended to provide the danger, frustration, challenge,... that real sub commanders had go through because of BDU orders. I guess most of them had preferred attacking a convoy instead of shadowing (a dangerous task without much reward quite similar to mine-laying). And it was difficult; Buchheim mentions in one of his books that the captain hardly left the conning tower during the shadowing.

Concerning the mentioned messages, their meaning is that the player has to continue shadowing. I thought this is clear because if you do not get any new orders, your old orders are still valid and the old order should be shadowing Anyway, I think anyone can adapt the messages to his/her liking (Maybe one should add a comment in the menu.txt which messages are used in which situation).

Regards, LGN1

PS: Stiebler, did you 'lock' on the ships you could see and what's the 'preciserange' value for your visual sensor?
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote