View Single Post
Old 08-25-11, 05:19 PM   #13
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 302
Uploads: 0

Judging by the German text labels (I'm of Dutch origin so it's not my native language, but I think it's enough):

1 is indeed impact-angle (auftreffwinkel= angle of collision)

2 is some sort of vernier dial (feinanzeige= fine display) of an angle that represents a bearing, or AOB. Hitman I think once said that (based on his extensive studies) "lage" was used often in both contexts of bearing on ownship, or AOB on the target. I'm betting on AOB. The dictionary that I have at home translates "Lage" as: situation, location, pose, position, state. The dial to the right of 2 seems to be the AOB dial (Gegner = opponent ), as the 2 dials on the far right can be clearly translated to be to be the crude and fine dial for the target bearing (Schiffspeilung= Ship bearing ) Dial 2 shows a value of 30, which could mean 30 minutes of arc, or halve of a degree. The same fractional value as is shown on the small inset dial of "Gegnerlage". 4.5 degrees starboard AOB ("Bug Rechts" = Bow Right)

3 seems to me to be the gyro angle or lead angle. (Schusswinkel= shooting angle) It makes no sense if this is the spread angle. How is a red (port) spread of 2 degrees any different than a green (starboard) spread. Spreads are symmetric. Besides ...

The 2 dials below 3 are probably the torpedo course (Torp. Kurs) and spread dial ("spreizung" means spread, and my dictionary says "Fächer" means "fan") But "Kurs" means course, so it is probably the "True" shooting bearing. IOW, there might be a compass correction involved that is hard to notice on this dial.