Old 07-14-11, 12:57 PM   #2957
Paul Riley
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0
Default Tonight's developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Riley View Post
Well,here we go,finally,a new campaign after almost a year away from the game,and I can tell you right now it feels good to have the bowspray back in my face again.Also I may need to point out that I have still yet to finish the game even after all these years (best so far is early 1943 with a respectable campaign tonnage of well over 1 million tonnes,with 4 careers I think it was),so hopefully this campaign could be the one.Please,no corrupt career files this time please? (fingers crossed)

Sept 1st 1939

So,with the onset of war with Poland we set off from Kiel in our snug type IIA for an assigned patrol in AN21 just east of the Shetlands.We dont expect much action this early in the war,however we could pick up a few loners in and around the area due to the fact that we have an extensive copy of previous captains ship co-ordinate logs from old campaigns.But with only a meagre supply of 5 torps this could be a short journey indeed,therefore we must employ the 'one ship one torpedo' philosophy to its fullest!.
I will need to get the men into a VII as soon as possible for I fear cabin fever may set in before long if I dont.

May the gods guide us safely on our mission.
Latest report from U-23

2nd Sept
uneventful

3rd Sept
day 3 at sea

making our break into the North Sea from the SE tip of Norway we sighted a lone vessel heading 246,speed approx 5-6 kts.
followed for around 2 hrs,vessel clearly indicating it was a Norwegian medium cargo
broke off and sent contact report back to base
earlier in the day we recieved reports of a German UBoat attacking a Polish sub in AO94,which was finally sunk

4th Sept
day 4

no major events other than a radio message at 0846 reporting that HMS Courageous had been dispatched on ASW mission with destroyers Anthony,Acasta,Amazon,Ardent
second radio message,Royal Oak departed Scapa Flow on patrol in North Sea.If only I knew where

5th Sept
day 5

arrived in assigned grid AN21.patrol ends at 1000 on 6th Sept
dived to 20m

6th Sept
day 6

surfaced,co2 at 50%,14hrs submerged (smd)
set new patrol grid AN14-AN16 on an 80km corridor between the Shetlands and the Orkneys
radio report from U-38
fired at by steamer in CG5553
steamer sunk for approx 7.000 GRT
dived to 20m
will remain in area for 1-2 weeks depending on current situation
surfaced,4.5hrs smd,approx 15km covered,recharging
D20m,RC time 3hrs
sound contact,merchant bearing 50,speed slow
broke off from chase,visibility extremely poor with 15mps waves,target pulling away
sound contact
visual on target,British vessel,rough course 151,speed unknown
broke off due to poor vis and rough sea,cannot afford to attack in such uncertain conditions due to our meagre supply of 5 torps
sound contact
gave chase for a good 3hrs,no visual,target must have been faster than our mean speed of 9-10kts at full
D20m
radio message,convoy OA1 departed from Thames estuary for Halifax
sound contact,visibility improving,wind still 15mps
visual contact,target ID British Granville
got well ahead of target and set up for a submerged perpendicular shot fired from 1000m
fired 1,impact tip set to fast,depth 3m.torpedo aimed at foremast
torpedo impacted directly at intended spot.target still afloat yet secondary fires observed below front mast
blew ballast,keeping parallel with target mean course we got in position for a second 90 degree shot fired from the surface at 2000m,light fading,decent cover
torpedo passed literally inches from the bow
fired a 3rd,same
fired a 4th,same (incorrect torpedo setting)
target slowed to 3kts and still burning slightly
prepared our final fifth torpedo aimed slightly aft of first damage site
torpedo hit perfectly
target finally sank on even keel for 4707 GRT
report sent in to BDU,returning to Kiel
end of report
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion

below average performance,I think mainly due to impatience,after all,this is my first patrol in almost a year away from the game and was eager for a kill,which after all said and done we did get
Why on earth I left in a type II i'll never know,the only thing I like about it is its cramped space which lends a sense of coziness.
Two weeks back in Kiel and we should be ready for our 2nd patrol,or I may give the men 1 month bringing us closer to 1940...1939 is so slow
Paul Riley is offline   Reply With Quote