View Single Post
Old 06-14-11, 10:18 AM   #81
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 827
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHammer View Post
I missed the Nagato battleship I was aiming at and instead hit a carrier far behind.

Sorry, It seems that none of us newbies can elaborate exactly how much we need the Auto Speed Determination of the chronometre to even get started using a manual tdc. Because the issue is this simple: We cannot hit anything of what we are aiming at. As in, nothing, maybe by luck, if I crazily enough manage to determine the speed, by a wild guess, then maybe I hit once or twice.

Right now, It would be easier for me to put everything on Zero on the TDC, and just aim ahead of the enemy ship I`m shooting at, and simply develop a feel for how many clicks in the periscope, ahead, of the enemy ship, I have to shoot, to get a hit.
But for real.. Who had time and resources enough to practice that.. that person would not be a sub captain for long..

S! to all

SK
Ahoy RedHammer
After reading and rereading some of the the patrol reports of the Fleet boats from the war, You are not far off in your feelings on the matter. In the early part of the war especially, the skippers were frustrated by the very same thing (Apart from the fact that the fish were faulty). I have read too many instances to count of perfect setups at 1000 yrds, 90 degree or comparable AOB, firing 4 fish and ALL MISS!. This is with all the personal assisting the Skipper! Most all torpedos fired at enemy ships in the first year of the war were misses. I've noticed in the game that ship's are taking evasive manuvers as soon as the fish reaches some visable distance, particularly in daylight and it doesn't take the ship much to adjust it's course and have the fish miss. So when you take your calculation, best fire a spread if you attacking during the day.
Point is, don't be frustrated. This is what the Fleet boats in WW2 are all about.
Good Hunting