View Single Post
Old 04-21-11, 11:58 AM   #32
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 92
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
A German in Germany is publicly asking for beer from the US? I think there's a potential blackmail situation here, but the victim will not be me.
That's why I asked for fine brews, not the usual "sex in a canoe" beers...
In addition: all my friends know that I have a bad taste - so no blackmail sit here

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Voiceover = Narration

On my DVDs at the beginning when they're driving down the coast road toward the nightclub, there is a voiceover by Werner's character. The English subtitles are something like, "The last night on land... [can't remember these bits]... the aces, there aren't many of them left... Schepke, Kretschmer, lost to the British [or something like that]... and Endrass, with a nervous breakdown [WHICH MAKES ME VERY ANGRY, THEY SHOULD HAVE USED A MADE UP NAME BECAUSE ENDRASS DID *NOT* HAVE A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN HE WENT OUT FIGHTING!]..."

I think there is more of Werner narrating in voiceover later on in the movie, for sure there is in the Uncut version but I think in the DC as well.
strange, I checked it out, the narration is included in the European version, but not in the US version of the UC (from Sony) - I checked the later out first....
It certainly does add immersion, especially at the beginning.
Another fun fact, which Peterson mentions in his audio comment: when the first WO talks about his experience with the crew, he says in the english audio that he was initiated- they made him say this for the english tv version. However in the english subs on the euro disc it is correctly translated from the german version: "I was peed on". The rest of the english subs don't seem to differ between the US/Euro versions.

At the time the first scene plays, Endrass is still alive
In the original Werner says, he is "mit den Nerven fertig", which is like a step before a nervous breakdown - something along the lines of emotional distress, or more bold: a nervous wreck.
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote