View Single Post
Old 03-22-11, 04:52 PM   #5816
King_Zog
Soundman

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi_dan2987 View Post
So I'm curious as to why renown levels in SH3 with GWX3 seem to be much lower than in stock SH3, when the original renown values for better subs and upgrades are the same as in stock SH3? I mean, are you just supposed to sink more and/or bigger, more important ships? I've been on God knows how many patrols and I can't seem to find a nice fat BB or large tanker to put to the bottom of the briny deep. I keep picking off tramp steamers and small cargoes, making piddly for renown. I made it to 1500 renown once, then put a damn neutral passenger ship to the bottom because I shot blind and at night using the hydrophone triangulation method. Any suggestions? I would really like to get that XXI, if I make it that long

Cheers!
If you can find and sink the larger merchant vessels then you won't ever be short of renown. The chances of finding a good target is not purely random as some locations seem to be consistently better for hunting then others...

I might be just lucky but I always tend to find lone large merchant vessels when I'm patrolling just north of the Shetland Islands (Lerwick) which is one of my favourite spots if I'm sailing a type II.

If you have a larger boat like a VIIB then try the North Atlantic and go for convoys. A convoy will generally consist of a good mix of small and large ships and if you are lucky you may find a capital ship sailing with them. So far in my early war experience, patrolling just north of Rockall Bank and the BE30 grids seem to be good spots for intercepting convoys.

Also it is a good idea to refer to the merchant traffic route map for more hunting spots.

And be aware that the amount of renown you'll receive relates directly to your difficulty settings. So (if you are not doing this already) playing with map contacts off, manual targeting and realistic sensors etc can potentially yield you much more for each sinking.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by King_Zog; 03-22-11 at 07:24 PM.
King_Zog is offline   Reply With Quote