View Single Post
Old 03-02-11, 08:03 AM   #52
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Rescue or windows disc after having mounted a new drive. Indeed the volume image function of W7 does exactly that - I have tried it out just three days ago on the W7 laptop of a friend of my parents. First it created an image to an external HD, then it burnt a rescue disk.

Exactly. And from the moment the hard drive fails to the moment you install a new fresh drive your computer is down. See, with a raid 1 you wouldn't have to take down your pc, just take out the failing drive and put in a new one, all the while your pc is still working. No downtime.

And if you're worried that raid 1 doesn't work with xp don't. I have xp, and its installed in a raid 1 configuration with multiple partitions. I've had it since 2006, and in fact 1 year ago one of the drives went bad. No problem I still continued to use the computer while the new drive arrived. And then took out the failed drive and installed the new one. The system continued working and remade the raid 1 in the bakground automatically.

Believe me motherboards supporting raid 1 (even without a dedicated hardware controller) is one of those thing that make computing less stressing in case something goes bad. Not using this feature, with drives that cost pennies these days is just a bad tactic.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote