View Single Post
Old 03-01-11, 01:58 PM   #3033
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
I missed the Leyete Gulf IJN force north of Luzon in October 44 (this campaign is a disaster for finding and sinking capital ships), but I had 12 torps left, including 2 in the aft compartment, and had already sunk four merhcants on the current mission. So, I sailed to Bungo Straights with plenty of fuel and waited. Eventually, along meandered two dds and two battleships (the BBs were doing 12 kts.) I decided to take out both BBs, as I had only racked up a dd and light cruiser to my warship tally in three and a half years into the campaign. I hit both. They were late war Ise's, and I nailed each with three torps, range of 900 yds., with the torps set to run at 25 feet. That slowed them down to one knot. I hit the trailing Ise at 3,500 yds with a fourth torp, but that did not manage to slow it down further. End result: I did not sink either. I was out of torps. I should have unloaded all the torps on one target. By splitting the torps between two targets to rack up tonnage I ended up returning to base empty handed. You know you aren't having much luck when you nail two BBs with three shots each with impacts 25 feet below the water line.

Armistead, re credit for sinking: I was kidding you. I don't sink anything anyway, so I isn't an issue I worry about.

How can you miss the Leyte TF, both BB groups come through narrow straits, San Bern and Surigao night of Oct. 25. The northern carrier TF is a little hard to find in the open sea, but most go for the two BB groups.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote