Old 01-10-11, 08:00 AM   #15
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
Why raid 5 over raid 0?

The built in back up. I'm not a performance user, I can wait a few extra seconds for something. I'm still waiting for my new drives to arrive, and if I still had my raid 0 going, this disk failure would mean I wouldnt be talking to you guys, I would be assembling allmy original disks to reinstall. As it is, the system is much slower, but still usable. The nvidia software will allow me to hot swap the new drives, all i gotta do is plug each one in and let the software do the rest.
Are sure you don't mean Raid 1? If one disk in a Raid 0 array fails you loose everything since the data is split between the two drives. Don't think I clarified this, but Raid 5 is only for the data, not the OS. The OS drive should be fast (depending on its use) I would put a raptor 10k drive in there, if I was really worried about it failing I'd mirror it with another same size drive in a Raid 1 configuration.

1 250gb 10k raptor drive is going to smoke a pair of 1 TB drives in a Raid 0 configuration. My OS drive (be it my server or my desktop) is always the fastest drive in terms of IO, all my data is kept on the Raid 5 array and just accessed via mapped drives. It's cheaper and easier to keep adding more 500gb drives to the Raid array when I need more space, put the new drive in the carriage and turn it on; expand the array and wait for it to re-write the parity and I'm good to go. Long as 2 drives don't fail simultaneously or consecutively my data is quite safe. Keep in mind my Raid array only has data on it.
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote