View Single Post
Old 01-09-11, 12:42 PM   #861
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Thanks, Sailor Steve. Speed restriction could be done in two ways:

A) Disallow higher speeds by program code or

B) Program some penalty if one breaks realism rules (dive or driving too fast during reload).

In the last 2 weeks I spent a lot of time to try to model such penaltys (crew injured or dead, compartments flooded and so on), but only with little success, and: It took a huge amount of program code. So I tend to not continue this way. That means:

1) During reload of external torpedoes speed will be restricted.

2) During reload of external torpedoes one cannot dive, since all diving commands will simply be ignored.

3) There will be a new Command (e.g. Ctrl-C) to interrupt the reloading process, in the case of an alarm or if higher speeds are necessary. After interrupting the reload process, the user has to wait 2-10 minutes. After that, he can dive.

4) No reloading of external torps in bad weather.

Eventually 5) : No reloadings of internal torps when windspeed exceeds a certain value.

This solution restricts the player instead of allowing him to decide if he wants to break realism rules or not and risk some penalty. I am not happy about that solution, but my restricted time does not allow a detailed and realistic modelling of all possible situations/penalties.

Only alternative: The only simple penalty I can offer is to destroy the sub for a certain probability. That means: If the player dives during reload, he risks for a chance of, say, 75% that boat sinks. That's too extreme, I think.

h.sie

Last edited by h.sie; 01-09-11 at 04:58 PM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote