View Single Post
Old 01-09-11, 10:57 AM   #13
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Ya I had 2x250GB Western Digital RE drives in a RAID0 for a while. Ran out of space though, just replaced it with a fast 640GB one. Don't think the benefits to general gaming are really that pronounced, can't say I notice the difference at least.

*why RAID5 btw? I get it for the reduncancy, but you lose performance gains. Unless you're running a server, I would really suggest RAID0.

(And that you not put critical data on it, should it fail.)

** nvm, had my raid levels mixed up
For my OS drives on my desktops I all use Raptor's as the system drive, then usually put in a 250gb or 200gb spare one to use as extra space. Everything is done on my server (which is a real server, not a desktop with a server OS and the server label slapped on it), right now it's got 5 out of 6 channels on my raid card used with 500gb drives. In the past have already had 1 drive fail so the parity saved my data while I got a replacement drive and rebuilt the array. If I had the money I'd switch to SAS and get all 15k drives for performance; granted it would get even louder in that room than it already is (though it has been nice this winter helping to passively warm the rest of my place up).

Data is the most important thing, and hardest to replace. A raptor with a cheap equal sized sata drive to mirror it along with the RAID 5 on the server is pretty much bullet proof. If I had a couple TB drives I would make backups onto those every few weeks, otherwise just count on the integrity of the aray to do its job and be sure to make images of my OS drives every onece in awhile in case they do take a dive.
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote