View Single Post
Old 01-05-11, 06:58 PM   #11
Scotty
Watch

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33lima View Post
yeah the first video link I posted shows Panzer Elite gunnery with time of flight added, he's just firing at open countryside but at least you can see the tracer trajectory.

PzC I quite liked too but the lack of tracers spoiled its gunnery for me, even vanilla PE's instantaneous white puff trails looked better. Didn't mind PzC's lack of infantry much but the fact that the ONLY other kinds of troops in the game were AT guns in silly bunkers, was a big minus too. Plus many of the tank 3d models were poor - Sherman 76s and Fireflies were just 75mm turrets with long barrels, that sort of thing. PE even out of the box had so much more and was a lot more realistic in nearly every respect.

Functionally, Panzer Elite in its current state is still one of the very best tank sims you can play, just as modded Red Baron 3d and EAW are still some of the best combat flight sims available, such are their basic strengths, notwithstanding superior graphics, AI, flight models or whatever.

I would not call PE out of the box better.. the gunnery was more fake than any arcade game.. I mean instant flight time brought me away from it... I like the challnge to have to lead off on something that is 700 meters away... kind of like REAL life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not point at it, adjust for spin and CLICK=DEAD instantly..
Heck, Battlezone of 1980 by Atari was even more realistic.. you did have flight time (slow, but it had it) in it.

The infantry if you want to call it that.. looked like cardboard figures moving around the battlefield.. I mean the enemy in Wolfenstein 3D of 1991 looked much more real.. almost made a whole decade earlier.

So I would not agree with you about "out of the box" PE!

I reinstalled PE some years later 2003-2005, but never seen a flight time mod then, I eventually gave up. Also Panzer Commander would not run on a Barton core CPU of the time later I figured out a CPU slow down utility helped big time.. The blocky forrests were hard to get used to.

As far as Panzer Elite being the most realistic tank sim NOW??? From the mods you guys tell me, you may be right..

Sometimes out of the box sims are worse than others, but modded, the one that was lesser, ended up the best.
Seems PE has come a long way.. like I said, thanks for enlighten me on this.
maybe it should Be Steel Fury Kharkov 1942 vs Panzer Elite (and not T34-vs-Tiger)
----------------------

Red Baron 3D and EAW, used to play those A LOT..even online some.. what has happened with them in the past 6-7 years.?? how are they with mods vs say Il-2 1946 with mods?

later
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote