Old 12-30-10, 08:45 PM   #2834
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberatus View Post
Thanks for explanation
You're welcome! Just remember, if you do find your boats crush depth, you won't sail home to tell everyone about it. Even the real skippers who figured out their boat's crush depth are on eternal patrol.

What I do, is multiply the test depth by 1.5, i.e, 250ft test depth x 1.5 = 375ft. You should be safe to that depth. After that, you are playing with fire. I think some folks multiply it by 1.75 which would give you a depth of 437ft. But remember, the older boats had thinner pressure hulls than the later Gato, Balao, and Tench Class boats. So if your test depth is 250, I wouldn't try pushing it past the 400ft depth mark, unless you absolutely need to.
One trick I use with the shallower boats, is to really vary your depth while evading destroyers. Not only that, but I am constantly changing direction horizontally too. But I switch from the compass to the rudder settings on the dial so I can make faster turns than just hard to port or starboard. I can use slower speed settings, and conserve battery power without having to constantly go to flank speed. Tighter turns are nice, but they bleed off too much speed for my liking. I like to use 15 to 20 degree left or right rudder, as I can maintain a good head of speed, and it throws off their aim just enough so I can run the speed up a few seconds before dropping it back down again.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote