View Single Post
Old 12-24-10, 03:41 AM   #110
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
That makes sense as far as setting up the files on both drives, but if you want the total page file size to equal a particular amount (1.5xRAM, or the OS's recommendation, whatever) how do you arrive at a size for the one you customize if the system is managing the other? When you select that option for C: does it give you a size so you can adjust the file on the other drive accordingly to come to the desired total?
After I set C: to system managed, Windows created a page file there 4GB big, so I'm assuming it will match the amount of RAM.

You can either ignore it or subtract that from the total desired amount.

I'm just going to ignore it. From what I understand the custom one will be the one used normally, while the system-managed one on C: will only play a role for a memory dump in the event of a crash, and perhaps when you set the system to suspend or the other drive is just too busy to accomodate read/write to the drive.

To avoid fragmentation, you could manually set the one on C: to match your amount of RAM, plus a little breathing room, setting min and max the same so it doesn't expand. (it's actually 4.01GB here)

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote