View Single Post
Old 12-22-10, 03:00 PM   #72
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Typically the majority of the ports is driven by the northbridge, with some additional ones on the southbridge. Those are 2 individual chips on the motherboard, basically the core of the chipset that ties everything together. I would just set both to AHCI for SATA drives, there really shouldn't be a reason this wouldn't work; Win7 has all the drivers you need packaged with it.

In XP, you need to provide these drivers separately during install, because XP does not have those drivers packaged. I think that's what the manual is refering to when it says that you need to make sure to have the drivers handy.

Usually the sata ports have different colors to indicate which are which.

I looked up the board model at Asus' site: there's 18 BIOS updates fixing all kinds of issues. I know it's only advisable as a last resort, but I think in this case it would be in your best interest.
All the internal SATA ports are the same color. And there's only one place to enable AHCI in the setup, so I assume that takes care of both chips? And yeah, in one of the links Vendor posted someone said that Win7 already has decent drivers for it for any recent Intel/AMD products so that's a relief.

Re: BIOS updates, I downloaded the last one - would that be the latest "release" and include everything in all the others?

According to the manual I should a utility for updating the BIOS within Windows on the CD that came with the motherboard.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote