View Single Post
Old 10-15-10, 02:25 PM   #10
K-61
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0

I have the Director's Cut of Das Boot, which also includes a "Making of" documentary. I also own the original DVD of the theatrical release, but I prefer the Director's Cut both for its enhanced content and also for its remastered sound. Play the two discs on a decent system and you will definitely notice the difference in sound.

Stalingrad? There's a good film, though it does become overweening in parts. The poor Germans seem to always have to make a war film in which they rip out their guts in guilt. Just make the movie and leave the moralizing out of it, please. I watch it with German speech and occasionally English subtitles. I've picked up quite a bit of German this way, but not really enough to converse. I'd like to invest in the Rosetta Stone software, but money's tight for my household right now. I know I could download a pirated copy on Bit Torrent or get a copy from a friend, but I'm not a thief.

Cross of Iron is probably my favourite war film, with Das Boot a close second or even tied for first. Stalingrad comes next. The Band of Brothers series is also right up there. I'm looking forward to The Pacific. And Saving Private Ryan is also on the list. What I appreciate most in a war film is realism of equipment and uniforms, authentic language [i.e. real German or Japanese, not accented English] and dialogue. Soldiers swore a lot; I should know, I was one. I know once upon a time Hollywood had to have John Wayne say such things as, "Golly gee" but today film makers are no longer under such strictures. I do object to gratuitous profanity; it is no substitute for a good script, something I wish script writers would realize. You can't rescue a crappy film with swearing and nudity.