View Single Post
Old 10-15-10, 01:23 AM   #313
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Hi PT,

Hitting the ESC-key is no step forward regarding realism, since real kaleuns also didn't have an ESC-key (forgive me, I couldn't resist). And: High Time-compression also is not realistic. So if you want realism, just don't use TC and so the sudden-death-screen-problem interconnected with high TC disappears. Or in other words: Why do you want the game to behave realistic if you don't operate it in an realistic way?

Why don't you see things positive: The feeling of frustration that you have when death screen is shown, could be seen as part of realism, because real kaleuns surely also were frustrated when things got out of their control, didn't behave as they wanted and death (screen) knocks at their door.

To be honest, even if I want to change the death screen problem: I simply do not know where to start and how to realise it with a simple fix and without re-writing the whole Uboat damage model. Of course it is possible to change the in-game condition when a Uboat is considered as lost. But one has to think about the consequences of such changes.

Imagine there is no death-screen when dieselengine room is floated: Then I would also have to prevent that crew can be moved through this room, e.g. from torpedoroom to communications room. The guys in the torpedoroom are locked.

And, as LGN1 already said: One single floated compartment is not realistic. There are only 3 sections in real Uboats (which are subdivided by 2 pressure-resistant bulkheads). So, in order to make things more realistic, I have also to model that water can flow from one compartment to an adjacant compartment, if there is no bulkhead between them.

And: what happens when you sit at the ground of the sea in 20m depth and the boat doesn't move up because of a completely floated compartment. In real life the crew would try to leave the boat using their tauchretters (oxygen supply that helps swimming to the surface), but this situation is not modelled in SH3. So I fear to open a can of worms when I begin to mod this.

I fear this problem can only be solved in a good way by completely re-writing the Uboat damage model.

Maybe someone now asks: Why doesn't he do that? My answer would be: Take the simple Windows game Minesweeper and try to mod it so that it gives you bonus points instead of penalty every time you hit a mine. Tying to realise that you will get an impression of what can be done in Assembler without SDK and what cannot be done.

@privateer: Although I am pessimistic regarding this topic, I am curious for your idea. Maybe there is a simple solution I didn't see!

h.sie

Last edited by h.sie; 10-15-10 at 05:36 AM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote