View Single Post
Old 08-20-10, 03:19 AM   #8
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 303
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Now be careful there! We're not just making up a speed. We're basing it on observation of two sonar vectors and projecting them on a fictitious target track. So long as the speed and track are proportional to the real one, you have created similar triangles and it will yield a valid solution.

Haven't you ever done the stadimeter thing and found through the attack map that your range is too short? As long as the impact x is on a straight line between your sub and the target, you have a hit, even though your range is wrong. You do have to reduce the speed proportionally to maintain the alignment if you're using the PK especially. That error was the inspiration for my idea. The only thing the solution has to yield is the correct gyro angle. If the correct angle is the product of an inaccurate speed and range the torpedo still makes a boom.
Ok my apologies, appearantly I still don't have my head screwed on correctly. I didn't realize the speed was derived from the bearing progression at this ficticious distance. You wrote it in the first paragraph, but I focused on the seemingly 'magic' 7 knots in the 2nd paragraph. Anyway yes, due to the proportional triangles the torpedo track would be the same.

Sigh, I need some R&R

p.s. no pun intended with that.