View Single Post
Old 08-11-10, 10:49 AM   #239
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by themrwho View Post
What TC level are you cruising in now and would like to know more about this advice and its technical aspects, is it a forum post here?
Hey there themrwho,

The disadvantage of playing at a high TC is that, above a certain level, too many potential dangers become fatal events before you have time to take what might be a life-saving evasive or preventive action.

Granted, the game (if left unmodded in this respect) will typically drop out of high TC if something like that occurs - however in another thread I think we figured out that at 1024 TC, 1 second of your playing time equals about 17 minutes in the life of your kaleun and his crew. And the passing of time in-game does not stop when such an event occurs; it only drops from one level of TC to another. In the time it takes for that to happen, valuable reaction time can be lost.

For instance, if you are playing at 1024 TC and an enemy plane is spotted, the game will drop you back to 1 TC. However, if it takes even half a second for that to happen, your boat has already spent 8 minutes chugging merrily along doing nothing to evade or defend itself against this threat. Meanwhile the enemy plane, which takes its orders from the game's AI and not you, is free to close in on your boat and fire away and can do so with no problems at whatever TC is in effect.

Same deal with sighting an enemy destroyer; if they also spotted you, they've had 8 minutes to close range and attack before you even knew they were there.

And don't even get me started on mines - hitting a mine at high TC is pretty much a death sentence because even if the initial damage wasn't fatal (and there's always a small chance it wasn't), so much time elapses so quickly afterwards with no damage control being done that before you even know something happened you'll be looking at an "Oh hai, ur dead" screen and scratching your head trying to figure out how you got that way.

In periods of low visibility collision with other ships can also be a problem.

General consensus seems to be that bad things tend to become fatal events way too quickly to manage at anything over 128 TC, especially if you are anywhere within range of enemy aircraft, in an area where heavy ocean-going traffic of any kind is likely, or in an area likely to have been mined.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote