Thread: LW/Ami Missions
View Single Post
Old 09-23-05, 03:54 PM   #23
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Absolutely, the process would involve increasing the NL's by a scaled figure. We could simply give each platform within a certain NL range a set NL increase.

None of these NL values have been pulled out of thin air. Amizaur calculated the standard level of background noise, and then entered the level of noise for the platform above that background noise level based on his information. So in game terms, as it stands with the mod, they are emitting the "real" amount of noise as closely as could be done. So the 688i in RL would actually emit noise out to a certain point that is fairly close to what we've got.

What is not worked out, however, is how much the passive sensors should be sensitive to that noise and at what ranges. I have recently learned that the third factor in the log scale is provided by the sensor parameters themselves, so it is simply not a matter of setting the noise levels, since the calculations are not absolutely the same for each sensor, based on their "sensitivity", which is actually a measure of how much the sound level for signal contacts is amplified above base noise by the sensor itself.

In any case, I've been assured that DW is in fact everything SCS claims it to be and much more, just the stock DB has been sanitized, with the expectation that WE, the community, would make with it what we want, as best we can.

Essentially, we can do whatever we want once we unlock the complete secrets of the DB, DW is that good.