View Single Post
Old 07-15-10, 07:36 AM   #149
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
part of the problem is the ships were docked. I haven't found a way to undock a ship and make it come after you. Once the ship is marked as docked it's forever frozen in time to that docked location. The sensor effectiveness of a docked ship is very low - the docked alert state isn't that much better either.
If you are after realism, then docked ships would be unable to respond in less than a few hours and that's assuming they were equipped. They'd take considerbale time to fire up their boilers and raise enough steam to get underway. A lot of the crew may also not be onboard. Leaping into action is not something they should do immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
The other problem is I don't have the AI responding to unknown contacts. Currently the ship's AI only responds to sub contacts. I'm working on fixing this but it's slow moving as any little error in the .AIX files instantly CTDs the game. Makes it hard to find the error/bug..... The .AIX files are not like the .py files where when they throw an exception a little messagebox pops up telling you the error/what went wrong giving you some clue and a place to start looking.
If an unknown contact is out of their visual range or if it's foggy or rainy, they can be passed a pobable contact that is in a certain place (possible near you) at a guessed depth. The guessed depth can be wrong, so if you rely on having any hunting behaviour that needs GetContactDepth() < 0, then it won't work, as the unknown contact could be at 4M, even though you are submerged. You can combine (( Ship:ContactIs(SUBMARINE) and GetContactDepth() < Whatever ) or Ship:ContactIs(UNKNOWN)) to get round it. That's the reason that the stock harbour defence doesn't react a lot of the time.