View Single Post
Old 06-28-10, 01:17 AM   #8
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillar View Post

The game mechanic doesn't make sense to me. Why would a torpedo at 2000 feet have a greater chance of detecting a target at 100 feet than a torpedo traveling at 50 feet? Even with no layer.
Actually it makes perfect sense to me. RA is trying to simulate multiple layers effect on sonar which DW lacks. There are multiple layers in the ocean.

By going deeper a submarine is making itself quieter to any enemy sonar platform shallower than itself. This is because of the presence of multiple layer. As the pressure of sea water increases with increase depth, sound wave somehow gets propagated a lot further in deeper water due to the increase in water pressure hence the ability of hearing shallower object from deep depth a lot further while the same cannot happen in the reverse because sound waves from deeper layer gets reflected before reaching shallower depths and thus reducing the shallower sonar platform ability to detect deeper target. Water is also a better sound medium than air due to the density and the layers exists due to the differences in temperature I think(my physics is rotten). Even US WWII sub which were capable of shallower diving depths than German U-boat enjoyed the protection of multiple layers which saved them from many Japanese destroyers or sub hunters.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For example
RL Case 1:
A torpedo set to passive traveling at shallower layer than target is likely unable to lock onto the deeper target because the target noise signature is dampened(much reflected) by the layer.

A torpedo set to active traveling at shallower layer than target suffers from degradation in its locking capability because the it pings suffer from being reflected. Though an active torpedo is still likely to lock unto target because of the sheer intensity of the ping.

RL Case 2:
A torpedo set to passive traveling at deeper layer than target looking for noise signature to lock unto and when it receives noise input because whatever noise left by the shallower layers gets propagated a lot further in deeper depths then a lock is acquired

A torpedo set to active traveling at deeper layer than target suffers from degradation from the layers that protect deep diving sub from being detected by surface ASW. However much of its signal will still get through because of the intensity of the ping and a lock is still very possible

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As to GrayOwl explanation I think he was trying to say that the depth that the torpedo does the search(depth setting)is more crucial than floor setting.

After being launched a torpedo travels in launch depth and then makes the transition to search depth set by depth setting and if this depth setting is deeper than floor setting the floor gets ignored and the floor is reset to maximum possible.

Anyway I also think he may also mean that the the mode/floor setting doesn't apply to AI. It only applies to manual preset with human player.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't mean to preach and if Im mistaken please do correct me so we all can learn about this hobby. ;-D

and Dr. Sid please write your thing.

Last edited by Castout; 06-28-10 at 02:09 AM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote