Old 06-26-10, 04:58 AM   #378
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorshkov View Post
I have a few questions:

1. Is it better to use stadimeter or green scale to measure range to target?

2. When to switch TDC from auto to manual mode and vice versa? What is optimal measurement sequence? Is this: range, AOB, speed?

3. This trick with intercepting target's course is smart but i cannot fully get it.

4. Were real U-boat crews using identical to your mod technique and hardware (TDC)?
1. Always use the stadimeter. The green scale is only there to provide more accurate reading of how much the stadimeter has been displaced up.

2. You'll need to switch to manual mode every time you need to input speed/aob/range. Why? Because the devs said so...
The proper order is AOB (either visual estimated or with the AOBF in which case yes, you'll also find out the range at that time). With AOB you can then intercept very preceicely. You then calculate speed as late as possible to have a nice angle. Of course you can also use plotting and do AOB and Speed on the move. Final range should only be calculated and put into the TDC a few seconds before firing.

3. Read again. Once you have the AOB properly set into the TDC, you only need to rotate the periscope until the AOB dial rotates to the intercept angle that you want (90 preferably, 180 to overtake on a parallel course).

4. Depends... Some uboats were indeed fitted with double-split prisms (vertical AND horizontal stadimeters). These scopes had an AOBF even better than the one we're using. Calculating range and AOB was a piece of cake IF you knew the size of your target. The real TDC was a bit more... complex. It also showed you the distance your torpedo had to travel to the point of impact. Some parts of the TDC showed instant results (such as the AOB+Bearing connection). Other parts required a push of a button and a few seconds of computing. I'm not sure if the Gyro angle was one of those parts that required time to calculate.

If they used these techniques? I think they used more complex ones because real world physics are complex. They also had Attack Disks and lots and lots of nautical tables with values for pretty much everything you can think of.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote