View Single Post
Old 06-06-10, 02:30 PM   #21
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005 View Post
After reading about your problem its put me of external drives.
Shouldn't. I was sold on the idea after listening to Kim Komando on NPR. She said the main benefit is in case of fire. You can replace your computer, but you can't replace all your work. The external can go out a window and be pretty much guaranteed to survive intact.

Quote:
If your lucky the boot.ini will be fix and your at least be able to get back into windows.
As I said, if I unplug the drive before startup I have no problems now. I just wonder why it stopped recognizing the main drive (which still works fine, just doesn't show up in the Boot menu).

Quote:
...at the very least i could access the windows drive from ubuntu OS and backup all my important files to dvd, then reformat damn Windows and reinstall.
Which is why I bought the external drive in the first place. With a Terrabyte of storage ALL my files are stored outside the computer. Everything I have. And I've filled up a whopping 90 Gigs, so I have about 800 GB left to play with. I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL
Me thinks you need to take a trip to storage and get all your software.
Oh, I absolutely agree. It's inside one of the 60+ boxes of books and stuff crammed into a 5 x 10 unit. Should only take a full day to pull everything out, look at each box and jam it all back in. Though I'm not sure I have the physical endurance to do something like that anymore.