Thread: Cant hit "§$%&
View Single Post
Old 04-21-10, 06:20 PM   #14
Hook
Bosun

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

A submarine deck isn't exactly a stable gun platform. Unless the sea is dead calm, and I'm not even sure about then, you'll have constant variations in two axis (pitch and roll, whatever they're called on ships).

Consider what even minor variations in cant will do to a gun's aim. An elevation change adds an azimuth change. If the gun platform is tilted to the right, increasing elevation will cause the azimuth to shift right as well.

And this might be the source of the problem. Ever notice that when you enter the bridge, or go back and forth between the binocs and naked eye how the horizon level changes? It's easiest to see by looking at the UZO mount, which can be straight up and down or tilted at some angle.

While we don't see the same tilt in the gun view (I haven't noticed it anyway), it may be calculated and affecting our shots. At least it usually doesn't change continuously. Next time I have a good gunnery target, I'll test it a bit.

None of this is going to get you a first round hit every time. Sorry 'bout that.

Hook
Hook is offline   Reply With Quote