View Single Post
Old 04-14-10, 04:35 AM   #769
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280
Uploads: 0

No plastic model is perfect. I couldn't find any other Narwhal models, perhaps I will someday get into making my own molds...in 1/72 scale. No more complaints about detail then eh?

Looking at real life pictures of the grating, I am honestly quite stumped. on the model, yes, they are ridiculously high, my guess is in that scale the deck stands about 5 feet high. my honest guesstimate is about 3 feet in real life.

as for the pattern under the grating, perhaps we won't know, the grating on the plastic model has the right feel about it, even if it is ridiculously tall. Some of the prewar photos are pointing in that general direction, but since nobody is ever shining a spotlight down there in any of the pictures we have, we will just have to make up for the Navy's shortcomings.

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/plans/ss167.pdf

there's the blueprints I used when I resized the model, I used photoshop to bump up the resolution as well as fix some of the missing edges (see the weather deck view, there's a mystical flag appearing there)

I used the tower (the size of the deadlights on both the picture and the model) to scale the background image and I just went to work with the stretch and scale. once I got the right length (blues reference, I have no way of reading any accurate measurement in MM3d, other than placing another object in the program, which, although simple, would take forever to delete) I went and scaled the sub's width, and I got the reference pictures you see there.

I get the feeling you feel a bit insulted, Keltos, it's not my intention, hand on my heart. I am always looking to improve things, no matter what, I'm always correcting my father's grammar and I'm always organizing the shelves at wal-mart (they lost a helluva kid when they rejected my application, yessir)
You have helped me through a lot since I started working on building mods for SHIV and I found it a privilege to work with you on the Narwhal, if it's true that you have taken offense in some way, I humbly apologise.

Maybe I am misinterpreting things as none of us are talking face-to-face and we have our own interpretations of how we are saying certain things as we type them. Okay, enough of my sleepless dribble.

Would you like me to send my rebuilt Narwhal stuff (models) over? I am quite confident that if it didn't look like a Narwhal then it most certainly does now!
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote