Old 04-10-10, 02:00 PM   #704
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
Hi. Just joined this forum today.

I recently bought Steel Fury and enjoyed it so much I went out and bought TVT. Not knowing the company had gone out of business etc etc. So I'm glad to see people working at polishing up and improving the game. I'm looking forward to being able to purchase Zeewolfs add on when it's ready.

The last tank sim I can remember trying was Panzer Elite on a 2XXMHZ PII. So that was a while ago. I now have a Pentium D. So modern sims like TVT, SF And IL2 work failry well. I usually play flight sims. IL2 in particular.

I wanted to throw in a few thoughts/ questions relating to siming in general while at it. Because there are a few guys here in addition to Zeewolf who know and understand coding. I do not.

I have often woundered why programers do not take more advantage of multi CPU's. And I mean multiple computers rather than just the new multi core cpu's. For example rather than running all the AI duties on the players computer. And usualy on one CPU. Why not spread things out over several computers. It seems to me there would not be much difference between this and a few guys playing in a LAN set up. A person can pick up (or probably has alread) computers in the 1-3 GHZ range for free, or almost free. And if the computer does not have to run sound or hi-quality video. Just a very simply windows screen to get the computer logged in to the LAN/game. Under these conditions I would think any P4 or equivilent could probably run a fairly complex set of scripts or whatever they are called to run one or several vehicals, planes or whatever. The local computer recycler ships out about a pallet of such computers a month in my small town. And I can have my pick for about $5 a piece. A person wouldn't even need a bunch of monitors. A VGA switch box (and an understanding partner) would do wouldn't it?

Additionaly I wounder if we will ever see games that blend together games like IL2, TVT and first person shooters. A lot of people answer this question with, "well you could play BF1942" and I do. But its an arcade game. Not a sim. I enjoy blasting ground targets with my IL2. But it would be even more fun if there were a thinking persons down there running the AA or other.

Hope spewing out all that does not get me in trouble for diluting the thread.
Welcome aboard Oilman

It is very difficult to sort out why developers do the things they do. However I do know TvT takes as much CPU and GPU as it can possibly
get so the system you have described amazes me that it would run
at all.

Sometimes there is no way out you will have to do it [Upgrade your PC]!

Cheers
ZeeWolf
ZeeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote