View Single Post
Old 09-03-05, 05:42 PM   #147
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

*Sounds of a chair hitting the floor*

ARE YOU KIDDING???

There are two types of AI sub passive sonar in the game HF passive and LF passive.

A sub will only have one of these two types.

Ok, are you ready? Unless I am reading this wrong, each array only has a 150 degree detection cone, mean ALL AI SUBS ARE BLIND for 210 degrees!?

In addition to that, both sensors are essentially useless anyway.

This is very problematic, even for me.

I think this counts as a high priority fix.

Can someone please tell me I'm wrong about this?

Edit: In looking at this more closely, it seems each array has the same geometry as the Sphere arrays on human controlled subs, that is to say, with a detection arc of 210 degrees and a dead zone of 150 degrees.

I think the best fix would be to give AI subs with towed arrays both a forward and rear facing sensor and ones without just a forward facing sensor, but I'm not sure if the AI could handle two sonars, plus the AI couldn't be made to make course changes required to actively employ the arrays. The most straightforward fix is to give AI subs with TA's a 360 degree sensor with more or less TA like properties, slightly reduced, assuming that this takes into account proper AI array behavior, and to give AI subs without towed arrays a sphere-like array that works for something as opposed to now where they are very very deaf.

This last fix has the advantage from a modeling standpoint of being minimally invasive, I would just make the HF passive sonar more effective by increasing its range, so it's more or less like the Kilo array (as these are typically on older subs anyway) and to change the LF passive sonar to more or less Pelamda TA properties, minus the restriction on cone. This may give the AI subs an advantage, but then again, we want that.