View Single Post
Old 02-01-10, 07:34 PM   #2
Panser
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0

Submarines and US Navy SEALs are recurring elements in Patrick Robinson's books. I wouldn't call them particularly brilliant literature, but they are pretty readable and kept me entertained a few years ago. If you do want to give them a try, I'd suggest starting from the beginning as a lot of the characters do keep coming back through the books.

Nimitz class is the one to start with if you do give them a go, the general plot being: A rogue diesel-electric, possibly a russian Kilo class sub wipes a US carrier task force off the map with a nuclear torpedo and the resulting US and British investigation to find the dastardly beast responsible.

From what I remember of the book and from a layman's perspective (mine), the guy seemes to have been well advised or done his research into modern submarine behaviour and methods of passive detection and sub vs. sub / ASW. At least it read convincing to someone who otherwise knows nothing about it!

As an aside, if you like Napoleonic war-era naval fiction such as Hornblower and Patrock O'Brian's books, you will probably also enjoy the Bolitho books by Alexander Kent and the Kydd series by Julian Stockwin

Panser is offline   Reply With Quote