View Single Post
Old 08-25-09, 05:37 AM   #211
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

I think many people here are forgetting something worth mentioning: SH4 is different to SH3, yes, but they have a common base and many development tools are shared (Silent Editor, etc.), while in SH5 we have, according to the announcement "Full new code".

The experience gained by the old SH3 modders, and particularly by the GWX guys with those both sims is incredible, having achieved things that even the own Devs hadn't thought about. I guess that SH5 will have in that sense its own steep learning curve for modders, so nobody can say that a GWX5 would come just a few months after the SH5 release.

Then, my experience as modder with the venerable Pacific Aces also shows me that a good modding team is like a greased machine, operating swiftly and with an objective, but that stopping it generates rust and kills the working pace. I guess that putting GWX4 on hold and waiting for SH5 end version and starting again would mean losing a good amount of the team, who will fade away in other projects. You can't have so many talented people without doing something, that's a fact I learned long ago.

Add to all the previous the probably killer PC you will need to run SH5, and you get a good picture of why GWX4 is still worth continuing, even if the scope of it is somewhat reduced (Not the quality of the product) if KL sees fit.