View Single Post
Old 08-18-09, 12:54 PM   #326
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapser View Post
I think a lot of people want another Pacific theater because only two have been made in the past 13 years.
If that argument were valid, it would mean that the next subsim should be an American Civil War submarine simulation. There have been none made - ever. Next in line would be a WW1 subsim - I think there has been one made, and it was freeware.

Look, there have been a few US sub sims, but the fact is, they don't sell as well as U-boat sims. As long as companies are in the business of making money, there will always be more U-boat sims than US sub sims being made per decade. Some have suggested that U-boat sims only really sell well in Europe, but that's not so. U-boat sims sell well worldwide. US sub sims only really sell well in the US. The US is not the world. If the US had the population of China, US sub sims would sell well worldwide because the US population would overwhelm sales everywhere else - but the US doesn't have that much clout in a market that is global.

Personally, I'd like to see a commercially made WW1 subsim. But it's probably not going to happen, so I try not to worry about it too much when other sims come along that don't serve my exact requirements. Those who want US subs already have a perfectly good simulation that serves their needs, so I find it kinda funny when they start complaining that the next sim in line is not going to serve their interests, especially when the game will be updating a game that definitely needs an update.

Now if SH3 had been a Pacific sim and if SH4 was set in the Atlantic, I could see the frustration of another U-boat sim coming out and following a perfectly good U-boat sim - especially when the last Pacific sim is so old that it needs an update. But that's not the case. Heck, just imagine the uproar if SH5 were to be a Pacific sub sim.

And to those who say that SH4 was buggy and unplayable, sorry but that's nonsense. With one of the nice large scale mods that are out there the game is perfectly playable and realistic, with up-to-date graphics. The same cannot be said for SH3, which had significant problems - it's playable, but it lacks in terms of realism and the graphics are second rate by modern standards.

In the final analysis, SH5 will be a U-boat sim. If you don't like it you don't have to buy it. But if you choose to boycott it, don't come crying to me when SH6 (which is likely to be a US sub sim) gets canned.

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.

Last edited by Beery; 08-18-09 at 01:09 PM.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote