View Single Post
Old 08-18-09, 11:40 AM   #317
Growler
A long way from the sea

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beery View Post
Why is it, every single time a new SH comes out, folks start whining about "Why a U-boat sim?" or "Why a Pacific sub sim?". I just don't get it. There are other things to be concerned about, and it's not as if Ubisoft has never done a US sub sim! SH4 is a perfectly good US sub sim - it has great graphics and plays really well with any of the major mods that have been made for it (including the one I published). In short, Ubisoft's US sub sim doesn't need an update right now. Their U-boat sim, on the other hand, has dated graphics and significant problems that DO need updating to today's standards. To ignore the U-boat war in favour of US subs would, at this stage, be both stupid and almost criminal.
Hear, hear! As much as I'd love to see the same treatment meted out to US boats (I work on Torsk from time-to-time, though AVGWarhawk might beg to differ ), I'm looking forward to this iteration of the SH franchise. Of course, I will, yet again, have to buy a new computer, but that's what student loans are for, yeah?

As to a "role-playing" aspect - well, isn't that sort of the point of "awarding" medals at the end of patrols? Sure, we promote our crew, which makes them better at their jobs, but the player gets medals, too - and what else is "renown" than "experience points"?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm looking forward to what happens outside the sub as well as inside. Kudos to Ubi for that.

Now... all they need is to recruit real voice actors... the voice acting in the trailer was my ONLY beef with it... atrociously hilarious... or is it the other way 'round?

edit: Any when Ubi's ready to dole out some interior US boat love, I'm ready to take 'em through Torsk... if the TVA doesn't do it first.
And pledge to love and beauty.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote