View Single Post
Old 08-18-09, 11:02 AM   #312
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

I realize that eyecandy sells, but for the SS crowd, the best update would be some answers to technical capabilities of the engine for areas we all have some issues with in SH3/4.

The interiors are swell if they don't drain from eyecandy that is actually useful. Weather and targets are examples of useful eyecandy. Interiors are way down on the list of what is really useful. In many ways a working head would be more useful than a working engine room, for example.

Seriously, at some point the player needs to use the head, but the skipper flat out never needs to "use" the engine room. Will players have to grab an oil can, and know where to lubricate? If something shorts out will the player have to remove screws, find the short, and fix it? If not, what purpose do the rooms serve from a gameplay POV?

The immersion of waling around IS cool, I grant that. But the reality is that you'll do it when you buy the game, then most times you'll be in TC. Other times you'll be with the firing party. I suppose walking around gives you something to do during a long 1:1 time scale DC attack, but you should not be able to give timely orders while doing so.

Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but interiors don't do much for me—more interactive crew would be great, but they'd need to have a really huge array of response not to get canned sounding after a really short time.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote