View Single Post
Old 08-08-09, 02:13 PM   #214
John Wertz
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default RIP Captain Zeb

Our condolances go out to Joan, Margaret and to their four daughters, as well as his many, many friends.

Cap'n Zeb was truly an Officer and a Gentleman, of the highest order. It's because of heroes like him and all of our servicemen/women, that we're able to enjoy the liberty and freedoms that we possess today, which he was so proud of in his service.

If you'll indulge me.... we 1st had the honor, privalege and pleasure to meet Zeb when one of his Navy League colleagues and a mutual friend, Brian Klock, introduced my brother and I to him, to assist in raising money for the crew's activities during the week of the commissioning of the USS Texas, down in Galveston(back inthe Fall of 2006).

As the story goes, during some of the rather contentious meetings on a few occasions, Brian was trying to sell the committee on a bunch of us O&G folks putting on a play for the Captains' reception(the night before the commissioning) to raise that money. Amateurs that we all were but seasoned at having raised over $1 million for charaties in the local Houston area, it was suggested to the committee that we combine with the crew and weave several scenes from "The Best Little Whorehouse"(renamed "The Chicken Ranch"), "Chicago", "Road to Key West" and of course, "South Pacific" into our presentation. Brian conveyed to me that, as you can imagine, the traditional Navy committee members were squirming about the whole "play" affair, not to mention anything referring to the Chicken Ranch(i.e.Tailhook redux), because First Lady Laura Bush and practically every Admiral in the Navy was going to be there.

Finally, after listening to input from everyone on the committee, all eyes turned to Cap'n Zeb, and with his cheshire cat grin and folksy laugh, piped in "What's wrong w/the Chicken Ranch? There's probably nothing more represenative of the Navy". Obviously, that drew a huge laugh and from that point on, the play was on.
Word was that he, the Texas crew and many of the cast members shut down several of the Galveston establishments during that week.

Fittingly, he had a spot playing Admiral Nimitz during the play, when he conveyed to the audience, as has been noted previously, that "Submarines were now the Capital ships of the Navy". Truer words were never spoken.

Just over a year ago, he invited several of us, through Brian, to come down and tour the USS Cavalla. We were in awe that this great sailor and gentlemen was not only conveying history, he lived it on that very boat.

Fair winds, Blue skies and Calm Seas on your last patrol, from your friends Rae Lynn and John Wertz.

Last edited by John Wertz; 08-08-09 at 07:22 PM.
John Wertz is offline   Reply With Quote