Old 08-04-09, 01:35 PM   #20
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
Fantastic idea. Very clever.

Just a suggestion on the issue of stationary/slow moving targets. You have the Particle generator/object linked to the MK14. What about making one of the torpedos acoustic. (I know the cutie is already, but it is slow and underpowered for this use.) Wouldn't that solve the problem of accurate aiming for faster ships? You would still have to be "in the ballpark" or the acoustic wouldn't pick up the target. And then you could create missions with surface AI ships assisting an attack. Of couse I would put a rather small limit on the available ammo or it would keep shooting until everything is sunk.

Thanks for the great work.

Peabody
You could fire any torpedo you want, just change the ID the object particle links to in the torpedospawnfx.dat file. But I don't think a modified cutie would work as it would simply go after the ship that fired the torpedo, I guess.
FYI, there are no custom torpedoes included, it just uses the stock ones. If you want a torpedo to go faster you would have to modify one of the already existing ones. Maybe cloning it, but I don't know what effect that would have on the 'playable' ones.

There is already a limit on the ammo, right now it has 4 torpedoes launching 20 seconds apart.

Also, I updated the file to fix problems with deep running torps, in the latest version (just uploaded to FileFront) even with 15m/s wind 2/3 of all torpedoes still hit the target. (depending on target draft of course, 7,5 ft in this case)
At longer ranges (from about 2500 m) the problem seems to cure itself with all torpedoes suddenly rising to their normal depth, but so far I didn't succeed in shortening this distance.

DarkFish is offline   Reply With Quote