View Single Post
Old 08-04-09, 01:13 PM   #350
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Hi,
gawwd what's up with those people here ?

Abacus is some pretty graphics and you can fly some WW1 planes, but if you want to shoot, have a campaign or get any immersion from a WW1 landscape this is nothing to write home about. Flight model isn't very sophisticated either, your Albatros flies like a Cessna, all planes are far too forgiving, and a DM is virtually non-existant.

"Over Flanders Fields" Phase 1 and 2 were fine for free, they would sure have costed something were they made by a commercial company back then, incomplete and buggy as they were, but the OFF team decided to give it away for free. So why does anyone complain they do not have it for free download anymore, when there is a new and better version without bugs? Anyone who plays phase 2 now will take it for "nearly the same as phase 3" - bullsh!t and not a good advertisement.

Maybe a subsim forum is not quite the place to ask for a flight sim ? If anyone had have the time to type "OFF home" into his Google window it would have shown him the OFF home forum at Combatsim.com, along with lots of subforums dealing with Phase 1 and 2, and how to still get a free copy. I must have sent some 20 copies of phase 2 disks to all parts of the world for free, along with others. It is just i do not check here regularly when it comes to flight sims, plain and simple.

deleted -

I once tried OFF phase 1, then phase 2, ranted all the time about all kinds of problems and inconsistencies, so much i was lots of times close to be thrown out lol. There are still some small errors in OFF (like the circular magazine of the SE5a Lewis gun has a closed bottom while it was open in reality) but the "rest" is spot-on, along with historically correct frontlines, fire barrages, battles and the feeling of a war going on around you.
The old OFF phase 2 CAN certainly be compared to the new Version 3 "Between Heaven and Hell", but there are not much similarities apart from the basic WW1 theme, not even graphic-wise. I think 30 bucks are not too much for it, but then it's just me.

Then there's "Rise of flight", pretty graphics, flight and damage model, but you get only 4 planes with the sim (39 bucks), and have to pay some 6.50 $ for every further plane you want to fly. And you have to be online all the time, even for single play - not that single play or a campaign are existant yet. Every patch will automatically be downloaded to your harddisk as soon as you start the game - no internet, no game. And it is very much a sim in development, but has great potential and i will buy it - teeth clenched - not much WW1 sims around.
NeoQB said they would offer a trial version for download, but it does not exist yet.

Greetings,
Catfish

P.S at Firewall - just read your last post, so i will rest my case Ahem

Last edited by Catfish; 08-04-09 at 01:17 PM. Reason: deleted s.t.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote