View Single Post
Old 05-26-09, 01:04 PM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 302
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hawk View Post
What modification is this screen shot from?
What are the 3 coloured scails inside the chronometer for?
Well, you could have figured that out by reading the thread title, and the rest of the messages in it. (atleast a bit)

Sorry, I'm grumpy as my PC died on me today.

Those things around the periscope view are sliderulers to mimic/simulate the real-life german (attack) periscope optics that could determine both range and AOB in almost one go. Onelifecrisis made that mod you see here (it appeared in various editions, but his latest is OLC Gold Mk2b). They are also in the U-jagd tools by Joegrundman, and some derivative mods by others.

Those colored scales around the chronometer are scales to determine speed of a target, as they pass the line of your periscope. The full procedure is a bit more involved than just looking at the target though. (you need to eliminate the effect of your own speed) The colored circles represent a certain length of the target. After the needle has moved X seconds it points to the appropriate speed for the length of that color (100m, 150m or 200m). If the actual ship has a different length you need to chose the color that best fits, or multiply/divide appropriately. But I found a way to (ab)use that range/AOB finder wheel in calculating the speed for any length of ship. See that crooked mark next to the 60 degrees in the inner (AOB) scale?

Watch those videos in the link OLC gave above to see how they all work.

BTW, Does that mean we can start to corrupt you into the wonderfull world of manual targeting?

Last edited by Pisces; 05-26-09 at 01:22 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote