View Single Post
Old 05-18-09, 09:49 PM   #58
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Let me be the first to post a war patrol. Tonight between the hours of 7:00 and 9:00 pm I tested GFO to destruction, pitting my Balao up against the Convoy from Hell of Pimp My Ride II testing fame.

One thing I noticed quite quickly was that your Maneuvering Fix has the undesirable side effect of messing up convoy station keeping:

There you go, the Convoy from Hell before my submarine has been detected. Bad weather and all, I decided to go in decks awash to see how close I could get. I got to 2500 yards and dove with no particular plan in mind. While under water, I pulled out the free cam and took a portrait of my victim(s).

It's supposed to be three columns 500 yards apart. That's the bad news. The good news is that the convoy's individual ships behaved very well. There were no collisions, the merchies parted to let the Asashio and gunship through to pummel me and they scattered really well when the feathers began to fly. A plan began to form. I would use every piece of ammunition on the boat or die trying. Time to get in the thick of things and let fly!

Didn't actually target much, just pointed and shot. Heck, who can miss! Oh the humanity!

Sayonara Ashashio! Down the throat for you...

Darn! Out of torpedoes! I surfaced and gunned down the gunboat, then attacked the armed merchies one by one until there wasn't a firecracker left on board. How'd I do for two hours of carnage?

Actually I did about as well in two hours with pure GFO as I did in 20 minutes with Pimp My Ride II, but without all the danger, as I did all the early sinking, especially the dangerous targets, with torpedoes in GFO. A most enjoyable and profitable encounter it was! I'll publish the Convoy from Hell as soon as my laziness leaves me and I quit playing with it myself.:rotfl: The final tally:

No problems were encountered with GFO that were not present in the stock game. I'm looking forward to customizing TMOplot to be a GFO plugin for those interested in ramping up the challenge a bit. TMOkeys works perfectly with no side effects. I'll be checking out the 3000 yard/meter bearing plotter with the same end in mind.

I think when you plug one of those Huge European Liners with a torpedo they float higher and speed up! However, the deck gun puts them down VERY quickly. The deck gun vs the gunboat was a sad mismatch. I could outshoot him badly. I miss the free cams everywhere, control room, bridge and conning tower from TMO and RFB. You might consider adding them.

This thing is really bullet-proof! I thought I had a camera issue yesterday but it was a cute little program I picked up called Texter, filtering and scrambling keystrokes. Once I turned off Texter it was off to the slaughter. This is the most trouble-free early stage mod I've ever played. Congratulations Webster! You have a winner!

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 05-18-09 at 09:59 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote