View Single Post
Old 05-05-09, 11:59 AM   #10
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
6DOF makes a huge difference in fully modelled 3D cockpit environment like for FS9/FSX. I wouldn't flightsim without it anymore. In race sims, I consider 6DOF to be irrelevant, almost, for you do not need to pan around in cockpit and check a thousand gauges that often. Indeed, in GTR2 and Nascar2003 as well as Richard Burns Rally I would say that two buttons on the wheel, letting oyu quick-look at 10 and 02 o-clock position, works as well as any headtracker alltogether.

If you race a lot, TrackIR is nice, but by no means a must. If you fly, it makes a bigger difference than you can ever imagine without having seen it yourself.
Pretty much agree with Skybird on this. I only purchased my first head tracking product in the last couple of months. I bought the Track IR4 Pro as there was a good deal going on it at RCS Simulations. Not sure how I lasted this long without it. I do like using it in GTR2 but it is not essential. However my real reason for purchasing the track IR4 Pro was for DCS Blackshark which utilizes full 6DOF and given the workload placed upon the pilot in the fully detailed and clickable cockpit I thought that the Track IR would be essential.

I get the impression that the new Track IR5 doesn't offer much if anything extra over the older model that I purchased recently. That makes me feel better.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote