View Single Post
Old 05-01-09, 05:39 AM   #17
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

For cooling I'd suggest a Thermalright tower-design. Ultima-90 is what I have, absolute winner, though it's probably a bit more expensive then what you estimate.

PSU: cheap = not good. I would suggest Corsair 650Watt (make sure it has Seasonic components). Corsair TX650w

HD > Western Digital gets my vote

Yes, you can use optical IDE drive, if board has IDE port. Knowing Gigabyte, it likely has 1.

Onboard sound is decent, dedicated soundcard is great. Not strictly nescesary, but recommended. X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty Professional, for example.

OS: what you prefer. Vista would be obvious choice for DX10 and DX11 in the future. Could hold out for Win7. 64-bit for 4gb+ memory support.

RAM: 4 to 8GB. You're board likely has 4 slots, I'd fill 2 of them with dual-channel kit (2x2GB). There's also triple-channel, but I'm not up to speed on this.

Personally I'd go with Kingston HyperX memory, but that's just personal preference (lifetime waranty), Corsair is fine.

* that board has integrated graphics. I'd suggest looking for one without.
** according to Gigabyte site, that board is DDR2 board, not DDR3.
*** think this is what you want: GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
This does mean moving to AM3 socket, make sure the CPU matches that. Or go with DDR2 and AM2+

Contritium praecedit superbia.

Last edited by Arclight; 05-01-09 at 06:02 AM.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote