View Single Post
Old 04-08-09, 09:56 AM   #20
Captain Nemo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferncott View Post
The real story of U-65 is that she was built in Kiel rather than Wilhelmshaven in 1915, instead of 1916. She was stationed in Pula during the war and enjoyed a successful career, sinking 52 enemy ships on 11 patrols. At the end of the war, on Oct. 28, 1918, U-65 was scuttled at Pula during the evacuation.)
If we are talking about UB-65 which was supposed to be haunted by one of her former second officers, then I believe you are incorrect. UB-65 was commissioned on 18 August 1917 and sank 9 ships before it was lost off the north coast of Cornwall. The story that she was haunted was first brought to the public's attention by a chap called Bywater, I believe in the early 1930's. He claims to have read a pamphlet written by a psychologist by the name of Hecht who in turn had spoken to an officer who had served on UB-65. This pamphlet has never been found and the so called facts that were supposed to be contained within it are not corroborated by the boat's war diary written prior to the patrol when she was lost. So a fictional ghost story is all it is, but claimed originally as fact.

Nemo

Sir John Slessor GCB, DSO, MC, DL
AOC-in-C Coastal Command RAF