View Single Post
Old 04-06-09, 08:17 AM   #51
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
LOL I did one ... 3.341 downloads so far http://files.filefront.com/Simplifie.../fileinfo.html
Cool! I should have known that if anyone would, you'd be the one. Glad to have some company in the "likes U-Boats and Fleet Boats and supports both" club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
A sudden strong blockade by wolfpacks with 100 U-Boats any time in the theater of operations would have effectively strangled Britain in a few months, making it impossible to react on time.
Change "would have" to "could have" (never underestimate the Nazi regime's ability to shoot itself in the foot!) and I'll give you agreement there. Good thing Hitler was loony tunes. I'm not 100% sure his generals could have won anyway. I think more likely they wouldn't have gone to war in the first place.

The funny thing is that if you read Mein Kampf and some other Nazi pre-war propaganda, their main target was Russia, not England. The main plan was to be Britain's ally, this stifled in 1936 with the abdication of King Edward because he was willing to throw in with the Nazis and remake Britain in Germany's image. Churchill and compatriots even set up a secret government in exile in the US to prepare for that eventuality. Had it been discovered it would have resulted in the impeachment and conviction of President Roosevelt, who was quite willing to sacrifice his reputation and presidency to save the free world.

That the Germans chose to attack a nation that they were not prepared to defeat, which they had sympathy for and had no need to antagonize is just one of the more bizzare features of WWII.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote